As technology continues to play an increasingly important role in the success of businesses, it’s becoming more important than ever to have a reliable and efficient IT system in place. However, building and maintaining such a system can be a challenge, particularly for small and mid-sized businesses that lack the resources to hire a full-time IT staff. This is where co-managed IT services come in. By partnering with a co-managed IT provider, businesses can access the expertise and support they need to keep their IT systems running smoothly, without the high costs associated with a dedicated in-house IT team.
What are Co-Managed IT Services?
Co-managed IT services refer to a collaborative approach to managing a business’s IT system. Instead of completely outsourcing all IT functions to a managed service provider (MSP), the business retains oversight while still receiving support and guidance from the MSP.
They can take many different forms, depending on the specific needs and preferences of the business. For example, the MSP might provide support for certain functions such as network security or backup and disaster recovery, while the business handles other functions in-house.
Advantages of Co-Managed IT Support
So why choose co-managed IT support over other options? There are many advantages to this approach, including:
- Access to expertise: Co-managed IT services allow businesses to tap into the expertise of experienced IT professionals without having to hire a full-time team. This is particularly valuable for small and mid-sized businesses that may not have the budget to attract top-tier IT talent.
- Flexibility: With co-managed IT services, businesses can choose the level of support they need and adjust it over time as their needs change. This flexibility ensures that businesses get the support they need, when they need it, without paying for unnecessary services.
- Cost savings: Co-managed IT services can be significantly more cost-effective than building an in-house IT team. See more in the broken out section on cost savings below.
- Improved security: IT security is a critical concern for businesses of all sizes, and co-managed IT services can provide the expertise and resources needed to keep systems secure. MSPs often have access to the latest security tools and technologies, and can help businesses stay ahead of the curve when it comes to protecting their data.
Co-managed Examples & Benefits
Co-managed IT services can take many different forms, depending on the specific needs and preferences of the business. Here are some common examples of co-managed IT services and how they can benefit businesses:
- Co-Managed Help Desk: One of the most popular forms of co-managed IT services is help desk support. By partnering with an MSP or managed professional services provider, businesses can outsource their help desk functions and gain access to a team of experienced IT professionals who can quickly and efficiently resolve technical issues. This can be particularly valuable for businesses that don’t have the resources to build and maintain a full in-house help desk team.
- Network Security: IT security is a top concern for businesses of all sizes, and co-managed IT services can help businesses stay ahead of the curve when it comes to protecting their data. Co-managed network security services can include firewall management, intrusion detection, and vulnerability assessments, among other things. By partnering with a co-managed IT provider for network security, businesses can benefit from the latest tools and technologies without having to invest in expensive in-house resources.
- Cloud Services: Cloud computing has become an increasingly important part of modern business, offering scalability, flexibility, and cost savings compared to traditional on-premises infrastructure. Co-managed cloud services allow businesses to take advantage of these benefits without having to build and maintain their own cloud infrastructure. Co-managed cloud services can include everything from cloud storage and backup to software-as-a-service (SaaS) and platform-as-a-service (PaaS) offerings.
- Backup and Disaster Recovery: Protecting business-critical data is essential for any business, and co-managed backup and disaster recovery services can help ensure that data is safe in the event of an outage, natural disaster, or other unexpected event. Co-managed backup and disaster recovery services can include everything from data backup and replication to failover and disaster recovery planning and testing.
By taking advantage of these and other co-managed IT services, businesses can benefit from the expertise and support they need to keep their IT systems running smoothly, without the high costs associated with building and maintaining an in-house IT team.
Learn more about how to simplify your company’s cybersecurity.
Cost Savings of Co-Managed IT Services
One of the key advantages of co-managed IT services is their cost-effectiveness. While the exact cost of co-managed IT services will depend on a variety of factors, businesses can generally expect to save money compared to building and maintaining an in-house IT team.
When considering the cost of co-managed vs internal IT services, it’s important to consider both the direct and indirect cost differences. Direct costs include things like the cost of the MSP or managed professional services provider, compared to salaries for internal IT resources. Also think about indirect costs like hardware, software, or other resources that need to be purchased, lost productivity due to IT issues, as well as the cost of recruiting and retaining in-house IT talent.
To get a better sense of the cost of co-managed IT services, it’s important to do your research and understand the specific services and pricing models offered by different providers. Some co-managed IT providers may offer flat-rate pricing, while others may charge based on usage or offer a tiered pricing model based on the level of service provided.
According to one survey by CompTIA, 50% of companies who engaged an MSP saved 1-24% in annual IT costs, 33% saved 25-49%, while 13% reported savings of more than 50%. By partnering with a co-managed IT provider, businesses can benefit from the expertise and support they need to keep their IT systems running smoothly, without the high costs associated with building and maintaining an in-house IT team.
By carefully evaluating the costs and benefits of co-managed IT services, businesses can make an informed decision about whether this approach is right for them.
Finding the Right Co-Managed IT Provider
If you’re considering co-managed IT services for your business, it’s important to find the right provider. There are many MSPs and managed professional services providers to choose from, each with their own strengths and weaknesses.
To find the right co-managed IT provider for your business, start by identifying your specific IT needs and the level of support you require. Then, research potential providers to find those that specialize in the services you need and have a proven track record of success.
When evaluating co-managed IT providers, be sure to ask about their experience, certifications, and references. It’s also important to consider the provider’s approach to communication and collaboration, as this can have a big impact on the success of your co-managed IT arrangement.
Learn more about how to find the best MSP for your company
Reducing Internal IT Overload
Finally, it’s worth noting that co-managed IT services can provide a valuable release for in-house IT departments. IT professionals are often stretched thin, with a long list of responsibilities and a limited amount of time and resources to address them.
By partnering with a co-managed IT provider, in-house IT teams can offload some of their workload and focus on higher-level strategic initiatives. This can help IT professionals avoid burnout and ensure that they’re able to contribute maximum value to the business
Co-managed IT services provide businesses with a cost-effective way to access the expertise and support they need to build and maintain a reliable IT system. Whether through managed professional services or co-managed MSP services, businesses can benefit from the flexibility, cost savings, and improved security that co-managed IT services provide.
If you’re considering co-managed IT services for your business, it’s important to do your research and find the right provider. With the right partner, you can achieve the perfect balance between expertise and affordability, and ensure that your business’s IT system is well-positioned for success in today’s digital landscape.
Is it time to close your IT Knowledge Gap?